ADA WCAG 2.0 Website Accessibility Resources
Web Accessibility Blogs & News Sources
- Accessib.li - Articles and tips dedicated to website accessibility.
- WebAxe - blog and podcast on web accessibility
- WebAIM Blog - WebAIM, makers of WAVE tester
- Seyfeth & Shaw - ADA Title III legal blog
- Hunt Huey - AccessDefense legal blog
- Understanding the ADA - William Goren, legal consultant blog
- Chris Hofstader - Vocal accessibility activist & software engineer @ Freedom Scientific (lead dev of JAWS screen reader) - his blog is very entertaining
NEWS ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS
- Nov 2016 Wall Street Journal: Companies Face Lawsuits Over Website Accessibility For Blind Users
- Oct 2016 Seyfarth Shaw: Federal Website Lawsuits Spike; Community Banks Get Demand Letters
- ADA defense law firm shows cases broken down by industry, state, and plaintiff law firms.
- Sep 2016 Florida Record: Sunshine State Attorney Seeks Website Changes, and Costs and Fees, from Snow Show Seller
- A small Vermont business Dion Snowshoes is targeted by Florida plaintiff firm (any business of any size is a target)
- May 2016 Washington Post: Advocates for the disabled find fault in many realty websites
- May 2016 Chicago Tribune: Real estate firms face legal challenges over websites' ADA compliance
- Mar 2016 Chris Hofstader: Stopping The ADA Trolls: Carlson/Lynch Should Sue Itself
- Feb 2016 Thomson Reuters: Litigation Trends: Website Accessibility Under the ADA:
- Well written overview of the legal story behind this growing trend.
- Dec 2015 Hunt Huey (law firm) blog post An ADA Storm Is Brewing - Web Access Litigation in 2016
- Dec 2015 Fredrikson & Byron: Lawsuits Rise: Blind Plaintiffs Sue Additional Retailers for Website Accessibility/ADA Claims
Testing & Dev Tools
- Accessibility Management Platform (AMP) by SSB Bart Group (starting at $13K/yr)
- Enterprise level
- Very thorough and used by remediation experts
- Reporting and remediation management
- Very expensive
- WordSpace by Deque (pronounced D-Q)
- Enterprise level
- They offer a suite of testing, monitoring, and reporting tools
- They also offer a free in-line testing extension for Firefox and Chrome called FireEyes.
- Wave : ADA Compliance Validator - Free
- Page by page
- Issues are overlaid on page
- Good entry level for non technical people
- Tenon.io : ADA Compliance Auditor
- Multi-page audits and reporting - they are currently working on a full-site audit spider due in August 2016, but until then one can get a listing of all pages on the site and load that for full site auditing.
- Great for developers
- Monthly rates as low as $19/mo
- SortSite Accessibility Validator by Power Mapper
They offer two versions: Desktop ($149-$849/user) and Cloud ($49/mo/user)
- Checks an entire site and provides Excel and Word reports
- WCAG 2.0 117 tests at A, AA, and AAA levels
- Colour Contrast Analyser (yes, its spelled that way) by The Peciello Group and JUn
PC and Mac versions allow designers to test for proper contrast and color blindness.
- "No Coffee" Vision Simulator Chrome Plugin simulates how pages appear for people with various vision issues.